For All the Hurting


Sometimes our hearts have such large holes in them that our words disappear into the dark abyss. And all we have left is a consuming ache.

I hate how life just keeps on going no matter how much pain we feel. I love how life just keeps on going no matter how much pain we feel.

One man can shatter 59 families from a hotel window and the laundry still needs folded and the baby still wants a snack. I pour a sippy cup full of milk and wonder how to prepare a child for this broken mess of a world. Shouldn't I be doing something more than this? The mundane feels so trivial.

Cancer, depression, and divorce can shake us at the core. But rinsing a little girl's hair and dishing a bowl of icecream for the husband can bring a sense of normalcy to a heavy heart. Loving the people around us always enough. The mundane feels so important.

And I know He sees.

He sees the Momma flipping pancakes while dreading the doctor appointment. He sees the Daddy playing ball with his son while wondering when the next job will come along. He sees us doing normal things with great big holes in our hearts.

And he whispers I AM.

When you have more questions than answers, I AM.
When the pain breaks your heart, I AM.
When you want to give up, I AM.

The world may howl and the darkness may cover... you can rest because I AM.


















Comments

  1. You write well. You wrote on our 22nd wedding anniversary. :) You must not be very far from me if you're in western MD. I'm in the western end of the eastern panhandle of WV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts