thoughts on gifts

"Neglect not the gift that is in thee."

That phrase in 1 Timothy 4:14 caught my attention a few weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it. When I first read it, I thought about what my gifts are and how I could use them. Immediately, my mind went to the things that come naturally for me and the things I enjoy.

But then I wondered, is it possible that I might have hidden gifts? Just because I'm not a natural at something does that mean it can't be my gift? What if some skills can only become gifts with lots of practice? What if we all have gifts hidden in our hearts just waiting to be cultivated and shared?

Obviously, I have more questions than answers on this subject. But I find the idea of hidden gifts to be quite intriguing. I guess I'm thinking about growth.... and doing things out of my comfort zone.... and someday down the road realizing that I got good at that thing that scared me and didn't feel natural at first.


I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure if mine made any sense??


Comments

  1. Oh yes! Like cooking and having company. Right after we were married it was extremely stressful. I'd get tention headaches about every time we had company for a meal and it was awful. Now I wouldn't say it's my gift but I definitely don't get so stressed anymore and know how to manage things a bit better maybe...the more you do of something the better you get...but still I'd take sewing over cooking anyday :) MAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bible says to "earnestly desire the best gifts," so I think this implies that we can long for and ask for spiritual gifts we do not have. Too many of us take a fatalistic approach to spiritual gifts--we sigh and wish we had this or that but we don't ASK! If you have a particular longing in your heart for a certain gift, find someone who has it and have them lay hands on you and pray for you. Some things may always be harder for us than others, but it's amazing how much growth we can experience in Christ. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts