And then she laughed.

Motherhood... its exhausting, demanding, and down right hilarious! So many times, I catch myself laughing out loud and thinking, "I can't believe I just said/did that."

Last week, Chad had the flu for five days, Vienna was cutting three molars, and I decided she really must be potty trained this exact minute because goodness knows the world would surely stop spinning if a mother had two babies in diapers. Can you sense my extreme sarcasm? :) Seriously. Why do we as mothers put so much pressure on ourselves and each other when it comes to things like potty training? After giving it much thought and seeking wise counsel, I have come to this realization. I have met many adults who lie, swear, take advantage of others, and are unkind. But I have yet to meet an adult who is not potty trained. So my theory is that Vienna will work through this issue in her own good time and its most likely in my best interest to give her lots of grace. And now I will step down off my soap box. Thank you for your time. :)

Where was I going with all this? I think I was trying to say that in the middle of last week's drama I was so grateful for the humor sprinkled in to break the tension and remind all of us that we are going to survive. Here are a few moments that made me laugh.

Vienna is obsessed with hiding these days. After playing hide and seek with her for a while, I figured she needed to "go." When I asked her to run upstairs and go potty, she frantically cried, "More hiding. More hiding!" To which I replied, "Come, you can hide in the potty." And then I burst out laughing because since when is the potty an appropriate hiding spot!? Never the less, she scampered up the stairs to "hide in the potty" and I considered it a mommy win.

And one more thing, if you have ever doubted your ability to dance or compose songs, I encourage you to try potty training a two year old. You will quickly learn you are quite capable of doing both. If you don't end up laughing at yourself while doing these things, then I really question whether you have any sense of humor.

This next story has nothing to do with motherhood but it begs to be shared. Last night, Chad and I were both tossing in bed, unable to sleep because of our conditions. His condition was the flu. Mine was/is pregnancy. Finally, he rolls towards me and says, "I'm over here imagining what your thought process must be before turning off the light and climbing into bed. I imagine that you stand at the light switch and think, 'There's the middle of the bed, but he's not using six inches of his half.' Then you climb in and claim six and a half inches as your own." I think he may have also mentioned something about the inequality of the blankets as well, but by that point I was laughing too hard to hear. I assured him I have never thought those things and that I do not harbor evil intent towards him. I also explained that the real problem lies in the amount of pillows some women require for a decent nights sleep. We then spent the next 10 minutes discussing the pros and cons of upgrading to a queen bed.
Pros: We would no longer be having these conversations at 10:00 pm.
Cons: Our stairway has a corner in it that holds a grudge against queen mattresses.
The jury is still out. I'll let you know what the verdict is.

I hope you can find some humor in your days as well.

Adios amigos! :)






Comments

Popular Posts