Top Five No. 02

When I thought of sharing my top five books again, I thought, "I just did that." Turns out that thing I "just did" was six months ago. So if you're looking for a good read to get you through the last stretch of winter, I hope something on this list will interest you. Also, on my instagram, I have started sharing my current reads on my stories. I'd love to talk books with you over there. My handle is @genevaeby.

Just a quick reminder, I only recommend books that I would give a four or five star rating to. And I will indicate the five star ones by putting five stars beside the title. (You didn't see that one coming did you?) 😊

East of Eden
by John Steinbeck

I'm not sure this book is for everyone. One of the main characters is a prostitute and some parts are difficult to read. Don't say I didn't warn you. I loved the parallels between the men in this book and Isaac, Jacob, and Esau of the Bible. It left me with a very keen sense of how generations tend to repeat the same mistakes.

The Glass Castle ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
by Jeannette Walls

This book drew me in from the very first sentence. Every chapter left me thinking, "I can't believe all this happened to one person!" It's an inspiring story of rising above extremely difficult circumstances and loving our families for who they are, not who they should be.

The Nesting Place: It doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful
by Myquillyn Smith

This book made me rethink how I view my home. What is the purpose of each room and what can I do to make it serve that purpose better. It helped me embrace the imperfections in my own home and made me realize that it really would be fine to paint my coffee table pink or yellow. So, if you don't want to end up with a uniquely colored coffee table, perhaps you shouldn't read this book. 😊


The One in a Million Boy
by Monica Wood

An eleven year old boy with special needs has passed away. His enstranged father decided to finish the boy's commitment to help an elderly lady. Without intending to, this lady becomes his friend and he starts to understand the boy he never really knew. I loved the aspect of a child with special needs helping adults cross barriers they wouldn't normally cross.

Felicity ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
by Mary Oliver

I have not read much poetry, but it is a genre I wanted to explore this year. I devoured this book quickly. Then, I paged back through and reread multiple passages, letting them sink in deep. I'm not sure how to describe her writing except that it gives you "a crinkly feeling up and down you back," as Anne Shirley says. It was perfectly delightful.

I'd love to hear your feedback if you chose to read any of these titles. Happy weekend y'all!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts