On Being Pro Life

Unless you live under a rock, I'm sure you have read a thing or two about the bill New York passed allowing full term abortions. My thoughts are muddled and I wonder if I should even attempt to write about this. It seems like everything that CAN be said HAS been said. We've heard the arguments, watched the interviews, read the statistics. Abortion is a monster and as a mom of two little girls, I feel incapable of waging war with it. I can't influence politicians or organize campaigns. So in the middle of changing pampers and reading stories I've asked myself this question, "What does it look like to be pro life HERE?" Here, in my own home, my own sphere of influence. The answer has stunned me.

I hope I can make these words say what I'm thinking. I've realized there is a difference between saying I am pro life and actually living like I am pro life. I say I am pro life because I would not consider having an abortion. I say that a fetus is a baby and a gift from God. I say that lack of development is no excuse to not extend compassion. And that's where I choke and it gets real. Lack of development is no excuse to not extend compassion.

My four month old who is frustrated every minute of the day because she can roll but can't crawl is not fully developed. Do I respond with compassion? My toddler who wants to do everything for herself one day and nothing for herself the next day is not fully developed. Do I offer kindness? The teenager who knows more about life than anyone else is not fully developed. Do I extend grace? Do I? I can't say that I am pro innocent fetus without also being pro crying infant, pro irrational toddler, pro cocky teenager. They are all equally important stages of life.

Please hear me out. I am not saying that when your baby is screaming or your toddler is throwing her fifth tantrum of the morning that you need to "soak up every moment." Its okay to hope for better days and easier seasons. I certainly wouldn't want to stay in the toddler stage forever any more than I would want to be pregnant forever. What I am saying is that MY RESPONSE to those moments, to my children, MATTERS.

When everyone else was pushing the little children back, Jesus knelt down and said, "Come." Too often my response is, "Not right now," or "Please give mommy some space."

In saying the word, "Come," I am acknowledging, "You matter. You are wanted. You belong." By voicing that simple word, I am living pro life.

Comments

  1. Powerful convicting words.
    I don't say "come" enough.
    Thank you.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    - A fellow mom, who is pregnant with her third

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for writing! There are many ways to choose life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so inspiring! I especially need the part about showing grace to the teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent thoughts! I'm glad you expressed it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Geneva. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Jaynes niece (and Heidis too) Because Jayne has mentioned you, I have been a silent reader of your blog until now. I especially appreciated this post. It places responsibly on me for my actions, and I thought it was a very enlightening perspective. And today, after watching a planned parenthood video, I realized truly how relevant this is. I can't stop the atrocities being done to these precious souls, but I can love the people in front of me.
    So thank you so much for that. And I don't know if you enjoy reading other blogs, but here is mine. brokenalabasterboxes.blogspot.com
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista, yes I sure do remember you and I'm SO GLAD you left a comment. Heidi had told me you started a blog and I tried to find it but was unsuccessful. I am looking forward to reading your words very much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts