My Good List

Apparently, nothing motivates me to write more than a messy house, dishes in the sink, and laundry begging to be folded. Writing is an odd thing. I'm tired of fighting it. Today, I'm giving in to the words even though it seems to be bad timing. Perhaps, once the words are out, the chores will be easier.

Yesterday, I was listening to a podcast by Tsh Oxenreider. Her and her guest were talking about something Tsh calls "My Good List." The guest is asked to tell about four things that have been making life meaningful and good. The four things are a physical thing, a habit, a work of art, and a philosophy. As I listened, I began to think about what my four things would be and I thought I'd share them with you.

A THING: Ebooks



Between feeding Shiloh, rocking her to sleep, and comforting her because teeth can be monsters, I feel like I've been spending a lot of time sitting. I find it very difficult (impossible) to hold a book and a baby at the same time, especially when that baby learns that pages make interesting noises when they are scratched, ripped, poked, and kicked. My phone is much more manageable to hold but I don't want to spend all that time on Pinterest or Instagram. That's where Ebooks come in. I am able to download them from my library using the Hoopla and Overdrive apps. I find I don't mind holding her at 12:30 AM nearly as much if I can use that time to read. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather be sleeping during those dark hours but if I must be up, books make it bearable.

A HABIT: Exercise



I started running two years ago when my depression was at its worst. Running gave me space from the thousands of thoughts that never stopped. For twenty minutes, all I thought about was counting my breaths and pacing my steps. Running makes me feel alive, strong, and free like nothing else can. I still love to run more than any other exercise but its not possible to do it as often as I would like, especially during the winter when it gets dark before Chad comes home from work. This winter, I found a few fun, easy workouts on YouTube and have tried to make them a part of my daily life. Research has proven that regular exercise is one of the best things you can do to combat depression and I have certainly found it to be true.

A WORK OF ART: "The Farmer and the Clown" by Marla Frazee



This is a children's book I got at the library. It has no words, only pictures and it made me cry. Granted, I was rather sleep deprived the day I looked at it with Vienna so that may have contributed to my tears, but I still think its a very sweet book. The ending left me thinking about how we leave a little part of ourselves with everyone we meet. We are not islands. Our lives have untold impact.

A PHYLOSOPHY: Be here.



Confession: Motherhood can feel very confining, and stifling to me.

I'm not saying it is; I'm saying thats how it FEELS some days. On one such recent day, I started talking to God about it. I was feeling so restless. I asked God, "What do you want me to do?" I really would not have minded if He said, "Rescue young girls from prostitution," or "Care for the lepers in Africa." I was longing for big, adventurous, important things. Instead, He said, "Be here." Here, switching laundry loads, reading books in hammocks, making little girls giggle in the bathtub. THIS is important.

I already knew this in my head, but my heart needed the reminder. Those two words have brought a peace to my ordinary days. And.... If my craving for adventure gets too strong, I try taking both girls to Panera alone and that usually cures me of seeking out adventure for a few weeks. (That is a story I may never forget, and may never be able to talk about. If I do, it will be on a therapist's couch.)

I'd love to hear one thing that would be on your good list. Happy Saturday!



Comments

  1. You really need to write the Panera bread story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, waiting for the Panera story too! :) And one thing that would be on my good list is Find something beautiful and photograph it. But I really should start running again! That was my thing before the twins were born, they're 3 now...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts