A Day in My Ordinary Life

Sometimes it feels like nothing ever changes. Have I been changing pampers and talking about what it means to be kind for a seven months or seven years? I really can't tell. On Instagram, I have seen several people document an ordinary day by taking a photo every hour. They do this once year and the point of this to look back in a year and see all the things that have changed... the way your daily routines are different, the way your children are more independent.

I loved this idea because I thought it would give me some perspective and I was right. I documented what I thought would be an ordinary Thursday. And it was, mostly. Just before bed, Shiloh started choking and Chad said "Should we call someone?" in a very panicked voice. Till the ambulance got here, she was breathing normally again. We think she may have swallowed one of Vienna's little rubber hair ties. As I snapped a photo of the ambulance, I thought, "In a year from now, she will no longer be putting EVERYTHING in her mouth."

Today is only a season. I need this reminder on both the hard days and the good days... the hard days because I long to know it will get better, the good days because I long to savor the joy right in front of me. Here's my a peek into my ordinary life.

                                          6:07 AM. Coffee and Bible with a handsome man.


6:50 AM. My favorite breakfast.


7:57 AM. Good morning, sunshine.


9:03 AM. Is it possible to brush my teeth without an audience? No. No, it is not.


9:58 AM. Prettiest road on the way to acquire a pet (or two).


10:39 AM. The pets were very frightened creatures.


10:54 AM. Falling in love.


11:49 AM. Favorite snack.


1:19 PM. Supper prep with all the helpers.


1:38 PM. Watching the thunderstorm.


2:58 PM. Menu planning and making a grocery list.


3:49 PM. Aldi parking lot selfie.


3:53 PM. Always an adventure with these littles.


5:05 PM. Choosing paint colors for the new school.


5:49 PM. Checking on the still very frightened pets.


6:26 PM. Her current obsession.


6:49 PM. The way she touches my face while drinking her bottle.


8:18 PM. Picked three daisies on my run for my favorite three year old.


9:11 PM. The relief of hearing professionals say your baby is okay.


9:26 PM. Stared at her face longer than usual. 


Perhaps there is no such thing as an ordinary day. It's all a gift. Too often I forget to say "Thank you," to the Giver.

Comments

Popular Posts