Children's Christmas Books

Anne Shirley said, "Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them," and I couldn't agree more. Whether its a date night, a birthday, or a delicious meal, I find the anticipation of the thing to be almost as fun as the actual thing. This is why I love Advent.

I feel such a real sense of longing and hope in December. Longing, because we live in a world of pain. Hope, because Jesus came anyway. This year, I've decided to celebrate Advent by wrapping twenty-five children's Christmas books and letting Vienna open one every morning. I can't wait to experience the anticipation of Jesus through the eyes of my child.

I had so much fun researching and making this book list. We already own some of these books. I've ordered some new titles from Thrift Books and I plan to borrow the rest from our local library.

The Crippled Lamb 
by Max Lucado

Great Joy 
by Kate DiCamillo

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey 
by Susan Wojciechowski

Humphrey's First Christmas 
by Carol Heyer

Jacob's Gift
by Max Lucado

Walk This World at Christmastime
by Big Picture Press

How The Grinch Stole Christmas
by Dr. Seuss

A Very Merry Christmas Prayer
by Bonnie Rickner Jensen

Who Is Coming to Our House
by Joseph Slate

A Charlie Brown Christmas
by Charles M. Schulz

An Ellis Island Christmas
by Maxinne Rhea Leighton

The Legend of the Candy Cane
by Lori Walburg

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
by Karina Yan Glaser

The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
by Jan Berenstain

Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
by Cynthia Rylant

Room For a Little One
by Martin Waddell

The Nutcracker
by Susan Jeffers

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
by Barbara Robinson

A Star So Bright
by M. Christina Butler

Red and Lulu
by Matt Tavares

Annika's Secret Wish
by Beverly Lewis

The Christmas Day Kitten
by James Harriot

One Wintry Night
by Ruth Bell Graham

The Small One
by Alex Walsh

The Little Drummer Boy
by Ezra Jack Keats

I hope to make this a tradition my girls look forward to every year. As they get older, I will include some longer chapter books but I hope they never outgrow their love of a beautifully illustrated picture book. Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? I'd love to hear about them!






Comments

  1. That is such a neat idea Geneva!! I love beautifully illustrated picture books and my kiddos do too. Thanks for the list.
    -Marj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this list! I always love a good book list recommendation! Going to attempt to do a form of this with my girls but in typical Louella fashion I wait til the last minute to start and so couldn't get enough books together. Oh well, we're still reading and the girls love stories!
    I'd be interested in knowing how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts