What I Ate in a Day (with recipes)

I haven't shared a lot of recipes on here but in the past few years, food has become a creative outlet for me. I see the colors, textures, and smells of food as the most tangible form of art. Before I share what I ate in a day, I must share two caveats.

Caveat No. 1

I am not a food photographer. You will see.

Caveat No. 2

I rarely cook three meals in one day. Most days, we eat bananas/cereal/yogurt/bagels for breakfast and leftovers for lunch. I'm assuming you already know how to warm up leftovers and toast a bagel. I planned these meals to give you some unique, fresh ideas for the days you are worn out with bagels. Carry on.


Breakfast: Flying Apple Flapjack

2 Tbs. butter

2 Tbs. brown sugar

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1 apple (peeled and thinly sliced)

2 eggs

1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. milk

1/4 tsp. salt

Melt butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in glass pie pan or cast iron skillet. Slice apple into the butter mixture and let cook for a few minutes. Whisk eggs, flour, milk, and salt. Pour that over the apple mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Drizzle with syrup before eating.

The best part about this recipe is hearing your kids giggle when you say the name of it. 


Lunch: Chick Pea Salad

2 cans chickpeas (drained)

1 cucumber

1 bell pepper

1 tomato

kalamata olives

feta cheese


Dressing:

1 c. oil

1/2 c. vinegar

1/4 c. sugar

salt and pepper

Stir the dressing together and dump on the veggies. I kept the feta cheese separate and added that just before eating.

This was summer in a bite. The flavors were even better the next day. 


Supper: Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Supreme Biscuits:

2 c. flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

2 tsp. sugar

1/2 c. cold butter

2/3 c. milk

Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter. Stir in milk with fork. (I usually splash a few more tablespoons of milk in till it "looks right.") Turn onto floured surface and roll out till its 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick. I use a jar ring to cut them. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 8 or 9 biscuits.

Sausage Gravy:

1 lb. sausage

2/3 c. flour

4 c. milk

1 tsp. seasoned salt

1 tsp. parsley

1 tsp. pepper.

Brown sausage. Stir in flour until sausage is coated. Add milk one cup at a time and cook until thickened. Add seasonings.

I feel like every woman living south of the Mason-Dixon Line should have a good biscuit recipe. I've finally found mine. The gravy recipe is out of the Food From the Heart cookbook. I should have left it thicken a little longer but we were in a hurry to eat so we just rolled with slightly thin gravy. Real life, ya'll. 

Let me know in the comments something you are cooking today.




Comments

Popular Posts