Emily Smucker's Bookish Tag

I recently watched Emily Smucker's video where she shared her answers to a bookish tag she created. I enjoyed it so much! I wanted to answer the questions myself. Here goes. 


1. What's the last book that made you cry? 

The Book Thief. I just reread it and was shocked that I still cried even though I knew how it was going to end. Marcus Zusak rips my heart out. 

2. What's the last book that made you laugh out loud in public?

I rarely read in public because I have two small people that require my full attention in public, but a few nights ago, I laughed out loud in bed while reading Bridge of Clay. I was extremely tired and reading an argument between brothers was oddly hilarious.

3. What's the book that people make fun of but you secretly love?

I have a slight obsession with books about the royal family. It's so cliche and so American but I don't care. I recently read HRH: So Many Thoughts on Royal Style by Elisabeth Holmes and Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand.

4. What's the longest book you ever read?

Les Misérables, clocking in at 1,260 pages. But maybe I can't count that one because I heavily skimmed the history and philosophy parts. A dear friend recently told me that she read EVERY SINGLE PAGE of that book because I raved about it so much. I felt truly sorry for her. The story in that book is incredible. The tangents Victor Hugo goes on in the middle of the story are not incredible at all. Please skip those parts and live a happy life!

5. What's a genre that you love so much that you'll read even sub-par books so long as they're in that genre? 

Children's books with gorgeous pictures.

6. What's the last book that you purchased?

The Book Thief. I found a copy at Goodwill and grabbed it to give to a friend since I already own it.

7. What was your favorite book as a pre-teen?

The Red Rock Mysteries series.

8. What was your favorite book in your late teens/early 20s?

The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright.

9. What's your current favorite book?

The Book Thief. How many times can I mention this book in this post?

10. Have you ever read a book so many times that you ruined your copy of it?

No, I don't reread a lot. 

11. Tell a story about something interesting that happened to you in a bookstore.

One time, I met my coworker in a bookstore and he promptly gave me a coupon to use. He was the type of person who always had a coupon for everything and it made me smile.

12. If you could forget the entire plot of one book, just so you'd have the chance to read it for the first time again, which book would you choose?

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

13. Have you ever read a book all the way through, thinking you loved it, but the ending destroyed it for you?

Yes, The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner. The ending was so tidy it made me angry. I hate when an author wraps everything up in a neat little bow in the final chapter!

14. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction? Why?

Fiction. Stories and characters stay with me and help me see life through the eyes of someone else.

15. What book has given you advice that still sticks with you?

The Lazy Genius Way by Kendra Adachi. I often remind myself to "name what matters."

16. Which fictional man would you most like to marry?

Gilbert Blythe. I adore him because he always valued Anne as his equal and he couldn't stop loving her even when he tried. 

17. Which fictional woman would you most like to be friends with?

Minnie from The Help. She is all spunk and life and fire. 

18. Which fictional house would you most like to live in?

The Dutch House in The Dutch House by Ann Patchet. It had lots of windows and intricate art work. Yes, please.

19. Has anyone ever read a book over your shoulder on public transportation?

No.

20. What book(s) are you currently reading? 

Bridge of Clay by Marcus Zusak

Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson

Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis

Devotions by Mary Oliver

Comments

  1. Hey, Geneva! Sara Nolt here. So fun to find out you still cry over The Book Thief. I read it after you mentioned it at Gina’s, so it was fun to be in the know on that one. :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone else who loves fiction best, too!!! I was trying to think which genre I would read a book from even though it had bad writing and was like, "none!" but then remembered a book recently where I really found fault with the writing but the story pulled me along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts