Connecting With Strangers and Starting Small

I realized something about myself this past week. I'm really good at connecting with complete strangers. I seem to approach every conversation with an ear open for a shared interest. And when I find it,  I experience a tiny rush of excitement. I've talked to strangers about Ann Patchett's novels, the local AirBnb market, grief, and most recently, marathon training. 

I was eating the best chips and salsa of my life when my lunch companion (a new acquaintance) mentioned that she was training to run a marathon. I felt that immediate thrill of connection and began peppering her with questions. What training plan was she using? Was she making any diet changes? Is the marathon course in New York mostly flat or does it have hills? I can't believe I forgot to ask her what shoes she wears. 

You see, I am also a very dedicated runner. Except when I'm not. I'm currently in a season of Not and this conversation made me realize how badly I miss it! I left that table filled with Arroz con Pollo and a determination to start running again. 

I downloaded a running app and decided that I would start with the half marathon training program. I wasn't going to be crazy and try the full marathon just yet. A casual 13.1 miles seemed like a good place to start. The app asked two questions.

Question 1: How far do you currently run per week?
My answer: Zero miles (Remember, I'm in a season of Not.)
Question 2: Which range best represents your easy pace?
My answer: Slower than 11:00 min/mile (That was the slowest option available.)

And this is the notification that popped up on the app, I quote, "Plan can't be created. Based on your current weekly distance and pace, we recommend starting with a shorter distance goal. Choose another distance and we'll create the perfect plan for you." Are you laughing yet? 

Why did this little app think that going from running zero miles per week to training for a half marathon was a bad idea? How absurd! So I changed my answers and manipulated it into giving me the training plan. And when I saw the amount of miles I would need to run every week, I tripped on reality. 

In my season of life, I don't have hours and hours to train for a half marathon. Several evenings a week, I get about forty-five minutes to exercise by myself. That's not enough time to crank out 6-10 mile runs when my pace is upwards of eleven minutes per mile. I took a few steps back and reevaluated why I even wanted to run in the first place.

The acquaintance I was eating Mexican with was running in memory of her dad. Her dad prayed for fifty people every time he ran. The way he combined physical exercise with the spiritual exercise of prayer was so inspiring to me. But I don't need to train for a half marathon to do that. I already walk a few times a week. I can simply replace some of that walking with running and pray for people while I do it. I don't need to make it complicated or fancy. The app is right. I need to start small. 



Two nights ago, I ran one mile. It felt terrible like first miles always do. Last night, I ran a mile and a half and it felt a little better. You may have heard people talk about "runner's high." I've felt that and its incredible. But the joy of starting small and being consistent is greater than any running high. 

Comments

  1. Way to go Geneva! I admire anyone who has the willpower to keep on running... its hard work! I hope its going better for you! Last spring I completed the Couch to 5K running program, and I recommend it to anyone! This past winter I quit running and then started in again this Spring, so... I'm up to running 25 minutes nonstop. And yes! the first 5minutes is always the worst! It makes you feel so good to complete a run though!
    I usually set my timer and listen to music, but I love the idea of praying for people!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts