Ashley

It's late at night and I should be sleeping. But instead, I'm googling, "What was the date one hundred and twenty-two weeks ago?" I can't sleep until I know. Snapchat tells me it was that many weeks ago when she sent me that one and only snap. That snap that I ignored for reasons that suddenly seem invalid. Was that the last time I had contact with her? Was it?? Google tells me the date of the snap was February 11, 2021. My text messages show that I reached out to her on Mother's Day, May 9, 2021. A few weeks later, we met at the park with our girls. I exhale a tiny fragment. The dates are the proof I craved that I didn't completely drop the friendship ball.

But I'm still sobbing in the kitchen. I'm still asking Chad, "Did I do enough for her??" Because she's dead.

Everything I had suspected was true... and so much worse. I suspected a boyfriend with rough hands. But not a crushed eye socket. I suspected addiction. But not loosing consciousness. I suspected so much pain. But not utter hopelessness. 

Ashley is the first person I knew who lost her life to addiction. But I'm young and I fear she won't be the last. This knowledge, this grief presses hard on my chest. I close my eyes. I do not sleep.

Comments

  1. I am just now seeing this post. How terribly sad. Your comments remind me of something I read once: replace regret with new knowledge: the experience is not all loss. Go forward from here, applying what you have learned (my paraphrase). And yet, grieving the loss is appropriate and part of the processing. May the Lord comfort you. Linda Rose

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts