Duet


(Chad, taking apples to his deer.)


(Me, writing words at McDonald's after the girls are in bed.)


He sings the song of a woodsman.
Two feet planted firmly in what is.
He's hopeful and practical.
He sees God in the trees and the earth.
He lives a faith of dirty hands and worn boots.

I sing the song of a dreamer.
Never quite certain what is real
And what lives in my imagination.
My faith contains a lot of questions.
My hope is a slippery thing.

He takes me to the woods
Where he observes every detail
With the precision of a hawk.
I try to turn the pages of my magazine quietly.
But also, I notice how the leaves dance with light at sunset.

I tell him he must listen to my favorite song from a musical.
I read the skepticism in his eyes.
But then the music fills our living room
And he stops.
"This is really good," he says.
I smile. 

Our lives sing completely different tunes.
We draw each other in
And sometimes, we push each other away.
But we always keep singing.
One tentative note at a time.
This song has broken my heart 
And ultimately healed my soul.

We are a duet of opposites.
This marriage stripped of pretense
Is a beautiful thing.



 

Comments

  1. The song and dance of marriage is always complicated. But the notes of joy get better the longer you practice. Keep playing the song of marriage! Love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I are also completely different.
    But God wanted us to be together. He must have a reason for this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts