What I've Been Learning

For the past three months, I've been using The Next Right Thing guided journal. Its a simple way to document the ordinary moments and to reflect on the life I'm living. One of my favorite lists in the journal is the "What I'm Learning" list. Here are some of the things I learned in the last quarter of 2021.

 1. I never regret opening my heart and home to this community.

When my neighbor lady (a former teacher) is sitting at my table helping Vienna sound out new words, my heart is so so full.

2. If I want my girls to try new things, I need to be willing to try new things as well.

They imitate what they see me do.

3. Most of the things I worry about never happen.

(my little girl being Very Brave at the dentist)

4. Fall is both heart breaking AND beautiful.


5. I can paint. 

I despise painting. Just thinking about rollers and brushes makes me three kinds of stressed out. While Chad was on a bear hunt, I decided to tackle our very scuffed up stair way. It wasn't quite as bad as I imagined. But I also told Chad we need to move before those stairs need painted again.


6. I feel better when I seriously limit sugar.

This is true. This is also very hard to do.

7. Sleepytime tea with lemon juice and honey is a balm for sore throats.

8. I need to ASK for alone time. It saves my sanity.

9. Chad NEVER thinks I'm high maintenance for needing time to think and write.

Eight and nine go hand in hand. Chad can't read my mind. He doesn't always know when I'm reaching my limit. But as soon as I voice my need for some quiet space, he always makes sure it happens. 

10. Hard questions drive me to God for answers.

11. Healing DOES come. But it might take decades and it is never linear.

I want to write a separate blog post about this soon.

(spending time in this place has been a gift I never expected)

12. You need a female holly bush to get red berries.


13. Sisters make the best friends.

My sisters and I are making up for our endless bickering as kids by being the very best friends as adults.

(sometimes they even help me paint)

(and they make my girls smile bigger than anyone else)

14. Sunday lunches do not need to be complicated.
I served burgers, fries from a bag, brownies from a box, and ice cream to our guests. I realized that connecting with friends has nothing to do with serving an elaborate meal. Its about opening our door and welcoming them into our ordinary life. (Also, it was my smart sister who told me to serve burgers in the first place.)

15. We are the family who always has sick kids over Christmas.

I've threatened to eliminate all sugar from our diet next December and serve everyone a daily kale smoothie instead. You can imagine how thrilled they are about this prospect.


16. When my body says to quit, listen to it.

I backed out of responsibility at the last minute because I just didn't feel right. I questioned my decision all day and wondered if I should have just pushed myself. By that evening, I was throwing up like the rest of my family and knew I made the right choice to stay home. Sometimes, our bodies just know when we need to rest. 

What have you been learning lately? I'd love to hear. 

Comments

Popular Posts