Being Told the Truth

I am a Mennonite and have been taught that true beauty comes from the heart, not the physical appearance. (This is one hundred percent true.) Therefore, I have never worried too much about my face. I washed it, applied chapstick when needed, attempted to keep the unibrow at bay, and went on living my life. One day, my friend, who is not a Mennonite, looked me in the eye and asked, "What moisturizer are you using?" I assumed that she was complimenting my naturally glowing complexion and answered blissfully, "None." But then she brought me back to reality by saying, "You really need some!"

I could have been offended but I chose not to be. I really love this friend and now I knew that she loved me enough to tell me my skin looked dry. I asked her if there was a certain moisturizer she would recommend. She immediately pulled a lotion up on her phone and I promised to look into it. 

The next time I passed a mirror, I stopped and really looked at the face reflected in it. My friend was right. My skin was terribly dry and looked a lot like that houseplant I've forgotten to water for a few days. That is to say, kinda dead. I decided that adding a moisturizer to my morning routine would not be a bad idea. 

And here's the best part of the story. I found the product my friend recommended on sale at Marshall's! (I'm not quite ready to turn in my Mennonite card and pay full price for something. Haha!)


It feels nourishing and delightful on my skin. I actually look forward to putting it on every morning. I think we all need a friend who will tell us the truth sometimes. 


Comments

  1. We all need moisturizer - but what a gift to have friends that help us out that way!!:) Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts