Choosing Commitment

I led the Bible study at our local detention center Wednesday night. I chose to talk about commitment... to our friends, our spouses, and to God. I drove home from there and ugly cried in Chad’s arms because it’s one thing to talk about commitment in a Bible study and its another thing to go home and live it out.



I had misunderstood him. I thought we were on the same page when we weren’t. I felt unseen. He felt disrespected. The decision stared me in the face. What was I going to do with our commitment? Was I going to honor it and walk through this with him? Or turn in anger and ignore the promise I made to him. I wanted to turn away. I sobbed on his shoulder because I didn’t want to meet his eyes.

We are both extremely stubborn individuals. Chad met his match when he met me. Two strong personalities committing to each other could be the recipe for disaster.... or it could set the stage for God’s amazing display of grace.

There’s a hundred reasons why our marriage shouldn’t work. But it does. Because God’s grace is there every single day. Because we choose commitment again and again.

I’m going to share a few of the things I talked about in Bible study because I need the reminder more than anyone. I used the story of Ruth and Naomi as an example of true commitment.

1. We do not need to understand every detail before we commit.
Ruth committed to going to a land and a culture she knew nothing about. She didn’t know how everything would work out. That did not stop her from going.

2. Know the person we are committing to.
Ruth and Naomi were not strangers. Grief had bound their hearts together like nothing else could.

3. Commitment doesn’t shy away from hard things.
Ruth went and gathered what the other reapers left behind. She became part of the lowest social class so that her and Naomi could survive.

4. Commitment makes us stronger.
When we stand alone, we are easily knocked down by the storms. When we choose to stand  beside someone through the storms, we can hold each other up.

5. As we keep our commitments, we get a glimpse into the heart of God.
God was so committed to loving us he sent his very own Son to save us. He will never desert us and when we walk away from him, he’s always waiting with arms open wide to welcome us home.

May you feel God’s grace and you choose commitment in your own relationships... it’s worth it every time! ❤️

Comments

  1. Geneva! thanks for being real! What a blessing in being committed! God bless you and your sweet family abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is happening in your neighbourhood or do you have any information with regard to the events and shows that are taking place here in Geneva. If not then come down to our website that is Eventsgeneva.ch

    Concert Geneve | Theatre Geneve | Grand Theatre Geneve | Theatre Du Leman | Spectacle Geneve | Agenda Geneve | Geneve Agenda | Agenda Geneve Week End | Geneva Events | Events In Geneva | Events Geneva | Evenement Geneve | Geneve Evenement | Evenement Geneve Aujourd'hui | Weekend Geneve | Concert In Geneva

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts