The Day I Wish to Forget

Hi, my name is Geneva and I break my phone a lot. Yes, I have an OtterBox. No, I don’t always keep it in that OtterBox. Mainly, because that case is ugly and I prefer my gold polka dot case. Yes, I know that’s a bad reason. Nevertheless, as a result of my sporadic dedication to the OtterBox, I have had the opportunity to replace the screen, the speaker, the battery, and the whole phone, in the past 8 months.

Perhaps I’ve said enough. I wonder if I should continue.

This story reached its climax yesterday, which is the day I wish to forget. I’m sharing this story with the hope that someday I will look back on it and see it as the point in my life when I finally got my act together. The point when things made a turn for the better.

On Saturday, the screen on my phone would not light up. I could hear the messages and emails coming in but couldn’t see them. Chad and I had a date planned that evening and we went to Dr. Phone (also known as the place I patronize every few months) after supper. They told me that it was not something they could fix and that I needed to take it to an Apple store.

The closest Apple store was in Gaithersburg, MD, over an hour away. I would just have to wait till Monday to get it fixed. Here was the problem, I had no idea where Gaithersburg was and since my phone was out of commission, I had no GPS. Anyone who knows me will agree that I should not even attempt finding new places without a GPS!

I decided to ask my sister to go along. We could use her GPS and I thought if we have to wait a bit and Vienna gets grumpy, it would be nice to have another adult along. That decision to take my sister was nothing but the mercy of God!

We arrived at the mall without incident. Upon entering the Apple store, I was informed it would be a 3-4 hour wait to get it repaired. Something in my heart withered. I tried to look on the positive side. “It’s a big mall. There’s plenty to do. We can get lunch in here and have a relaxing time shopping.” I tried to forget the glaring truth that my toddler is allergic to shopping. Our weekly trips to Walmart are enough to give me complete anxiety.

The next five hours consisted of two adults trying to shop while monitoring the toddler who was dashing between shelves and manaquins. Not a relaxing experience by any stretch of the imagination.

4:40, the time I could pick up my phone, finally came. I stood there waiting for them to bring it out and was hit with the worst nausea of this whole entire pregnancy. Like yanking off my sweater, black spots everywhere, where should I throw up type of nausea. I mumbled something to the technician about being pregnant and nauseated and crumpled onto the closest chair. After a bit of fanning, deep breathing, and eye closing I was able to regain composure.... just in time for them to tell me, “Something failed with the battery while we were repairing your phone so we are giving you a whole new phone. Did you have your data backed up to iCloud?”

That withered thing in my heart completely died. I was hungry, exhausted, and weak. And no, I did not have all my data backed up to iCloud. After nearly another hour of them calling Sprint and asking for my phone number multiple times, I walked out of there, numbed and shocked. I had just spent six hours at a mall with a toddler all for the love of an iPhone! What has this world come to?

The work traffic and wreck on 270 seemed like a very fitting end to the day. I lost some photos and contacts but not all of them. For that I am thankful.

Life lessons from this story: 1. Always keep your phone in the OtterBox. 2. Find yourself a sister who will spend the entire day with you at a mall and still love you and your toddler at the end of it.

Comments

  1. That made me tired for you just reading it! Bless your heart. I always enjoy reading what you write! -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made a good story. When everything goes well there is nothing to write about. Glad it all ended well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts