My Andes Mint Layer Cake Tutorial

I could have titled this post "My Andes Mint Layer Cake Recipe" but tutorial is such a fun word to say and sounds so much cooler than recipe. So a tutorial it is! :) When I read food blogs I usually end  up thinking, "Do these people always cook like this?" My guess is probabaly not. I'd venture to say that even the best cooks have those "hotdog and jello meals". Since we all know how to fry hotdogs and stir jello that's why we don't see tutorials explaining these things. And why am I talking about this? To let you know that making a complicated layer cake is not something I do often. So when I do, it's worth documenting! I adapted this from a Mocha Layer Cake recipe that a friend gave me and it turned out rather delicious.

Cake:
1 Devil's Food cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
1/2 cup canola oil
3 eggs

2/3 cup Andes Mint pieces, melted on top of hot cakes

Icing:
1 cup butter
4 and 3/4 cup 10x sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1/4-1/2 teaspoons mint extract
8-10 drops green food coloring

Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
2-3 tablespoons milk


Mix up cake and divide batter between two 9 inch pans. The pans need to be greased and WELL floured so your cakes pop out nicely. They will look something like this.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


As soon as they are done baking, take them out of the pans and place them on a cooling rack. Dump 1/3 cup of Andes Mint pieces onto each cake and let them melt a little.


Take a spoon and spread the melted chocolate around till it covers the cakes nicely.


Place the whole cooling rack in the freezer while you mix up the icing.


Let the cakes get hard enough in the freezer that you can easily lift them from the cooling rack to you cake stand. And at this point, I was just ready to get this cake done and I kinda forgot about taking pictures. But your finished product should look something like this.


My ganache should have been a little thinner so that it would have ran down the sides more. So I guess just use your judgement and add more milk if needed. I have no idea if I took far too many photos or not near enough. If you have any questions, feel free to comment! Grab a glass of milk and enjoy! :) 




Comments

  1. This looks AMAZING! I would totally love to crash my diet on this! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts