Seeing God

I promised myself I wouldn't do it.
But when the ultrasound wand paused over her little face,
I thought, "Those lips look just like Chad's."
They still do.
And in that moment, I became like every other mother in the world,
Looking for glimpses of myself and my lover in this tiny human.
Longing to explain the miracle.
Stacking feeble words like “Daddy’s nose” and “Mommy’s chin” up against the mystery we cradled in arms.
And when they lifted Jesus to Mary’s chest for the very first time
Did she see herself in the cowlick above his forehead?
Or in the shape of his eyes?
And were there times when she just stopped and stared
Because all she could see was God?
When he threw his head back and laughed
Did she glimpse the joy of his Father?
When he nursed that bird with a broken wing
Did she think, “He’s got his Father’s compassion.”
How did raising the son of God
Change the way Mary saw God?

Comments

Popular Posts