The First Time I Saw Him

On Pinterest, I have a board filled with writing inspiration, including some writing prompts. I don't often use prompts but sometimes I like to write about something someone else thought of. The other day, while scrolling through that board I came across this prompt. "Write about the first time you saw him." I smiled because I love remembering that story and I would love to share it with you.

I'm debating about whether or not to continue sharing our love story in the coming weeks. February seems like a fitting time to do so. And it is a rather interesting story. I need to have a conversation about it with Chad but I think I already know what he's going to say.... something like, "I don't care. If you want to, go right ahead." And that answer is not going to be helpful because I don't know what I want and I will still be in a pickle. Either way, here's how it all began.

He was sixteen and I was seventeen when I saw him for the first time. We were at a youth retreat and everyone had to introduce themselves. When he introduced himself as Chad, it stood out to me because my Dad has the same name. It was September, and he was so tanned from the summer that I thought he was a different nationality. We still laugh about that. Later that weekend, I was standing at the edge of the gym when I noticed him playing volleyball several courts over. I nudged my friend and said, "That Chad guy is cute." That comment was so out of character for me because I thought I knew who I was going to marry and a boyfriend was the last thing I was looking for. It was like my mouth just blurted out an honest, innocent observation without asking my brain permission first. My friend looked at me skeptically and said, "Really?" Really. Eight and a half years later, my opinion is still the same. He's really cute.


Comments

Popular Posts