Growing Up in the Sticks

Sometimes, my husband likes to tease me about growing up in the sticks. He mentions things like stale bread and suggests that maybe the reason I said "yes" to him was simply because there were no other options for a husband. We laugh because we know it wasn't true. At least the husband part. The bread part is still up for debate. I suppose that if all you ever have is stale bread, you don't actually know that it's stale.

(my sister and I in the creek behind my grandparent's house)

In first grade, my teacher put up a little train around the room with sight words on each car. We practiced them every day. I can still remember how shocked I was to learn that the word "pretty" was not pronounced "purdy." My little world was completely rocked. 

When I was fourteen, I sat in a pancake house and ordered a tall glass of milk as my beverage, the only acceptable choice to accompany a giant stack of cappuccino pancakes. The man who was buying my breakfast laughed a kind laugh and said, "She's from the country and she likes it that way." I didn't know then that he was referencing a country song, but I do now. He also took me to Starbucks for the very first time. We were living in the city then and the bread was very fresh.

Today, I tell my girls how lucky they are to live five minutes from the library. Where I lived, the closest library was forty-five minutes away but the Bookmobile came every Friday. I would open up that bus door in the middle of a heat wave and be met with the glorious scent of pages and air conditioning. The books lining those slanted shelves were my gateway into a larger world. This past summer, the Bookmobile was visiting our local library. When I stepped inside with my girls, I wondered if time travel might actually be real. 

So yes, I grew up in the sticks but it wasn't a bad way to live. And now I'm sitting on the couch beside a man who says, "purdy." Maybe there is a bit of the sticks in all of us. 


Comments

  1. This was a fun little read! Considering I was at your home several times, I never gave it thought that you were "in the sticks". The gauge my mind used for measuring was the length of your drive. You lived fairly close to the road if I remember right. In my mind 'the sticks' is always way back a long lane.😅 I do recall in my older years visiting again and the cell service was non existent, so that could most certainly be a sign of living "in the sticks".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts