Hygge Inspo

HYGGE (noun)
a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders and feeling of contentment or well being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)

(my favorite mug and my favorite blanket)

This little Danish word took the internet by storm several years ago. I can understand why. Fall and winter are not my favorite seasons of the year. The long, dark evenings make me feel a bit claustrophobic. When the glorious color display of autumn is over, I find myself mentally bracing for the months of brown. Leaning into the concept of hygge has helped me view the cold months in a more positive light. 

I made a list of my favorite ways to add hygge to our home using the five senses.

SEE
  • twinkle lights strung in my kitchen and living room
  • taper candles lit at supper
  • a cheesecloth table runner on the table
TASTE
  • tea/coffee/hot cocoa
  • soup
  • fresh bread
LISTEN
  • seasonal instrumental music
  • the happy noise of my family doing ordinary things
  • the crackling fire
TOUCH
  • fuzzy blankets on the couch
  • a shacket to wear all day everyday
  • ear muffs for my walks
SMELL
  • a simmer pot
  • candles that smell like the season
DO
  • 1000 piece puzzles
  • take a long walk (the house feels extra cozy after braving the cold)
  • invite someone for coffee
  • read a cozy book (some suggestions below)
    • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort by Laura Weir
    • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking
    • Miss Buncle's Book by D. E. Stevenson
    • Last Christmas in Paris by Hazel Gaynor
    • Dear Mrs. Bird by A. J. Pearce
    • The Comfort Book by Matt Haig
    • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Whether you look forward to winter all year or would prefer to hibernate until the red buds bloom again, I hope this list gives you some ideas to embrace the season you are in. Now, I'm off to drink tea and play games with my family.

Comments

Popular Posts